CYCLE ROUTE ONE
Blow the cobwebs away with this 20-mile ride through stunning Surrey and Kent countryside, created by our friends at the Oxted Cycling Club (Oxted CC).
It is mostly quiet lanes with plenty of straight routes, but there are some arduous hills so take a rest break at one of our sister pubs, either The Carpenter’s Arms at Limpsfield Chart or The Castle at Chiddingstone.
A winter cycle ride can be invigorating, but if it is icy, save your bike ride for another day. Fit tougher tyres and mudguards, and before you set off, check out the cycling safety tips on the Oxted CC website. And plot your route on a map to avoid getting lost.
We look forward to seeing you back here in Bough Beech for a celebratory lunch or afternoon refreshments.
A country cycle route from Wheatsheaf Bough Beech to the Carpenters Arms at Limpsfield, via The Castle Inn at Chiddingstone.
1. From our pub, turn right and after 500 yards, turn right into Mill Lane. About two miles down the road, turn left at the crossroads onto Chiddingstone Road. Follow this all the way to The Castle pub in Chiddingstone.
2. Either have an early break here, or go past the pub, and take the first left. Cycle all the way to the B2027. Turn left, then first right onto Bore Place.
3. After half a mile, bear left, all the way past the reservoir. At the T-junction turn left, then left again onto Ide Hill Road (B2042). Stay on Ide Hill Road as it bears right then go straight over at Roodlands/S Brook onto Green Lane. Turn left at the end onto the B2042 and ride all the way to the crossroads by the pond. Then turn right onto Pootings Road.
4. Stay on this road all the way to Crockham Village. Once there, turn right, then left onto Smiths Lane and then left at the top onto Kent Hatch Road. Keep on going until you see The Carpenter’s Arms on your right – another opportunity for a rest break. When you are ready to get back on your bike, turn left out of the pub and then first right onto Moorhouse Lane. Cross Kent Hatch Road and go down Trevereux – please take care. This is a very steep hill and can be slippery with leaves at this time of year.
5. At the bottom, go through the gate, bear right and out onto Swaynesland. At the green triangle, turn left onto Guildables Lane.
6. At the end of the lane, turn right, then take the first left into Troy Lane. Cycle to the end and turn right, then left onto Little Browns Lane and follow the road until it goes into Crouch House Road. Now cycle all the way into Edenbridge, turning left towards the traffic lights.
At the lights, turn right and follow the road over the river to a mini roundabout. Turn right, then left onto Hever Road. Follow all the way until you see a pond on your right, then a bus.
We hope you enjoy this cycle route. Please do take every care and, before heading off, why not take a look at Oxted Cycling Club’s Safety Policy for cycling guidance and advice – http://oxtedcc.org/safety/ We cannot accept any responsibility for your safety. Cyclists use this route entirely at their own risk.